As a Staff Geotechnical Engineer, you will be responsible for several field aspects of our geotechnical services, including field exploration and observation of earthwork and foundation construction. You can expect to spend a significant portion of your time in the field on projects, both big and small, allowing you to develop a broad understanding of soil conditions and construction related geotechnical engineering issues. You’ll also be involved in report preparation and performing geotechnical analysis, such as slope stability, bearing capacity, settlement, deep foundation design, and seismic evaluation. This position may also provide support to our geotechnical teams in other locations as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for field exploration and observation of earthwork and foundation construction, on projects big and small, to develop an understanding of soil conditions and construction-related geotechnical issues.
- Responsible for preparing field reports and performing geotechnical analyses such as slope stability, bearing capacity, settlement, deep foundation design, and seismic evaluation.
- Assists with gathering field data and field samples for related projects. Coordinates samples for testing as needed.
- May also be responsible for providing support to our geotechnical teams at other locations as needed.
- BS degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering required; MS in Geotechnical or related field strongly preferred.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification.
- Ability to adapt to changing project requirements and successfully work within a team.
- Proven problem solving, and professional-level verbal and written communication skills are a must.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Must be willing to travel domestically as needed.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- All employees are subject to completing a background check, reference check, and pre-employment physicals and drug/alcohol testing.
- Ability to perform a wide range of physical activities and do heavy work including exerting up to 50 pounds of force on occasion.
- Able to perform consistent work on a PC.
- Ability to travel for short-term and long-term assignments as needed.
- All employees are responsible for conducting their work in a safe manner. This includes identifying potential safety hazards and reporting them to the designated project manager in a timely manner and participating in project safety briefings. This also includes wearing appropriate safety equipment when working in the field and completing all required health & safety training prior to beginning field work.
Our best estimate of the salary range for this position, located in Spokane WA, is $56,437 – $72,578. Compensation offered will be based on a variety of individual factors, including education and experience, as well as internal equity. GeoEngineers’ salary ranges are reviewed and updated each year and employees are eligible for pay increases based on individual performance. As part of our competitive total rewards package, employees in this role may also be eligible for our annual year-end bonus offering, subject to program eligibility requirements.
At GeoEngineers, investing in our people is a top priority. In addition to competitive and equitable pay, we are proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including healthcare (with travel benefit for care not locally available), 401(k) with company match, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation and sick time and paid holidays, among others. View our full listing of benefits here.
Our Commitment to Belonging at GeoEngineers
When people feel they can bring their whole selves to work, that they have a voice and are supported and respected, it creates trust and a feeling of belonging— employees then flourish, grow their careers, and do the best work of their lives. A culture of belonging allows our employees to thrive and our company to prosper. This is a journey, and we are committed to doing the work, learning and evolving as we go.
GeoEngineers is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
GeoEngineers is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (425) 861-6000. We will then make a determination regarding your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
We welcome and encourage individuals from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for openings on our team. We would love for you to join us!
We care about your privacy. Read GeoEngineers’ Privacy Notice for details on our personal data policies.