As a Staff Geo-Structural Engineer, you will be a valued team member in our Geotechnical and Construction Design teams. In this position you will be responsible for several field aspects of our geotechnical services, including field explorations and observation of earthwork and foundation construction. In addition, you will be providing engineering solutions for construction support structures on projects across the nation, including all types of excavation support systems, cofferdams, access trestles, and falsework, cofferdams and all types of excavation support systems. Your responsibilities will include project design and development including use of geotechnical and structural analysis, engineering calculation package preparation, design drawing development, and numerical modeling. A significant portion of your time will be spent working teams both from your office location and with individuals who work from other offices (remotely and in person), allowing you to develop a broad understanding of geo-structural design and construction practices across the US. Working with our project teams across the country will give you the opportunity to learn and be mentored by multiple professional engineers across the Geotechnical and structural disciplines. You will be involved in report writing, technical analysis, and proposal activities and will have opportunities to spend time on project sites, observing construction and installing instrumentation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for field exploration and observation of earthwork and foundation construction, on projects big and small, to develop an understanding of soil conditions and construction-related geotechnical issues.
- Assists with gathering field data and field samples for related projects. Coordinates samples for testing as needed.
- Completes a wide range of geotechnical/structural engineering analyses and calculations.
- Assists with preparation of deliverables such as memos and reports and provide quality assurance/control support. Ensures that deliverables are submitted to the project manager in a timely manner and are completed as estimated. Independently produces detailed, accurate field reports and submittals including cover letters, calculations, and construction drawings and designs with support of senior staff.
- Assists with producing typical geo-structural designs such as temporary excavation support, retaining wall, soil nail wall, slurry wall, slope stability, shallow and deep foundation, construction dewatering, work trestle, temporary shoring, etc.
- Assists project team members in making design decisions from detailed criteria provided by the senior engineer or project manager.
- Assists with observation of field explorations and construction projects, ensuring that work performed is consistent with project plans and specifications as well as in accordance with safety guidelines.
- Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering required; Master’s in Geotechnical or Structural Engineering preferred.
- Intermediate level understanding of numerical analysis for design of geo-structural structures preferred.
- Intermediate-level understanding of CAD software packages AutoCAD/Civil3D/Revit preferred.
- Proven problem-solving skills.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification.
- Ability to adapt to changing project requirements and successfully work within a team.
- Professional-level verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to engage in site visits and travel as required to support work.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- All employees are subject to completing a background check, reference check, and pre-employment physicals and drug/alcohol testing.
- Ability to perform a wide range of physical activities and do heavy work including exerting up to 50 pounds of force on occasion.
- Able to perform consistent work on a PC.
- Ability to travel for short-term and long-term assignments as needed.
- All employees are responsible for conducting their work in a safe manner. This includes identifying potential safety hazards and reporting them to the designated project manager in a timely manner and participating in project safety briefings. This also includes wearing appropriate safety equipment when working in the field and completing all required health & safety training prior to beginning field work.
Our best estimate of the salary range for a Staff Level 1, located in San Diego, CA is $69,330 – $89,230. Our best estimate of the salary range for a Staff Level 2, located in San Diego, CA is $74,970 – $95,430. Our best estimate of the salary range for a Staff Level 3, located in San Diego, CA is $82,440 – $106,010. Compensation offered will be based on a variety of individual factors, including education and experience, as well as internal equity. GeoEngineers’ salary ranges are reviewed and updated each year and employees are eligible for pay increases based on individual performance. As part of our competitive total rewards package, employees in this role may also be eligible for our annual year-end bonus offering, subject to program eligibility requirements.
At GeoEngineers, investing in our people is a top priority. In addition to competitive and equitable pay, we are proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including healthcare (with travel benefit for care not locally available), 401(k) with company match, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation and sick time and paid holidays, among others. View our full listing of benefits here.
Our Commitment to Belonging at GeoEngineers
When people feel they can bring their whole selves to work, that they have a voice and are supported and respected, it creates trust and a feeling of belonging— employees then flourish, grow their careers, and do the best work of their lives. A culture of belonging allows our employees to thrive and our company to prosper. This is a journey, and we are committed to doing the work, learning and evolving as we go.
GeoEngineers is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
GeoEngineers is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or by phone at (425) 861-6000. We will then make a determination regarding your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
We welcome and encourage individuals from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for openings on our team. We would love for you to join us!
We care about your privacy. Read GeoEngineers’ Privacy Notice for details on our personal data policies.