As a River Engineer, you will be part of an amazing multi-disciplinary team that includes fluvial geomorphologists, biologists, geotechnical engineers, permitting specialists, and river engineers. Your work will primarily be focused on the planning, analysis, design, and delivery of natural resources projects including in riverine, riparian, and other habitats; culvert replacement; fish passage/aquatic organism passage design; hydraulic and hydrologic modeling; ecohydraulics/habitat analysis, as well as others. This role can be based out of our Redmond Washington, Spokane Washington or Portland Oregon Offices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing restoration and fish passage projects including budget management and implementation schedule.
- Leads and conducts field data collection applicable to project objectives.
- Completes engineering analyses and calculations. Develops conceptual and numeric models (i.e., hydraulic, hydrologic, ecohydraulic, sediment mobility, wood stability, etc.)
- Completes spatial analyses (e.g., mapping, design surface preparation, contours, etc.)
- Assists with business development (client interface), proposal preparation, budgeting, etc.
- Work with your team to develop project designs, technical reports, specifications, cost estimates, and bid documents.
- Support permitting efforts for regulatory authorization.
- Perform construction observation to help construction contractors interpret our designs.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Provide technical guidance and training for junior and technician staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of relevant professional experience, including at least two years of project management experience, Master’s degree time counts toward experience requirements.
- Training and experience must include the use of standard 1-dimensional hydraulic models (e.g. HEC-RAS), with a preference for candidates with experience with 2-dimensional (2-D) hydraulic modeling.
- Familiarity using CAD in design development (e.g. Civil3D/AutoCAD or MicroStation).
- Knowledge of environmental planning and regulations and general knowledge of Pacific Northwest waterways are desired.
- PE license required.
- Professional-level verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- All employees are subject to completing a background check, reference check, and pre-employment physicals and drug/alcohol testing.
- Ability to perform a wide range of physical activities and do heavy work including exerting up to 50 pounds of force on occasion.
- Able to perform consistent work on a PC.
- Ability to travel for short-term and long-term assignments as needed.
- All employees are responsible for conducting their work in a safe manner. This includes identifying potential safety hazards and reporting them to the designated project manager in a timely manner and participating in project safety briefings. This also includes wearing appropriate safety equipment when working in the field and completing all required health & safety training prior to beginning fieldwork.
Our best estimate of the salary range for this position, located in Portland, OR is $83,560-$105,130. Our best estimate of the salary range for this position, located in Redmond, WA is $88,780-$111,660. Our best estimate of the salary range for this position, located in Spokane, WA is $80,220-$100,930. Compensation offered will be based on a variety of individual factors, including education and experience, as well as internal equity. GeoEngineers’ salary ranges are reviewed and updated each year and employees are eligible for pay increases based on individual performance. As part of our competitive total rewards package, employees in this role may also be eligible for our annual year-end bonus offering, subject to program eligibility requirements.
At GeoEngineers, investing in our people is a top priority. In addition to competitive and equitable pay, we are proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including healthcare (with travel benefit for care not locally available), 401(k) with company match, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation and sick time and paid holidays, among others. View our full listing of benefits here.
Our Commitment to Belonging at GeoEngineers
When people feel they can bring their whole selves and voice to work, and feel supported and respected, it creates trust and a feeling of belonging— employees then flourish, grow their careers, and do the best work of their lives. A culture of belonging allows our employees to thrive and our company to prosper. This is a journey, and we are committed to doing the work, learning and evolving as we go, and encouraging career advancement.
GeoEngineers is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
GeoEngineers is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (425) 861-6000. We will then make a determination regarding your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
We welcome and encourage individuals from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for openings on our team. We would love for you to join us!
We care about your privacy. Read GeoEngineers’ Privacy Notice for details on our personal data policies.